After Theology After Google

After Theology After Google

I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the Theology After Google conference last week at Claremont School of Theology.

As one of the presenters, I was challenged to follow the TED Commandments and present something original and entertaining and funny and succinct (I had 10-12 minutes). With at least one TED fellow in the audience, the pressure was pretty intense to deliver. Well, let’s just say I had fun despite having to work through some technical difficulties (I could’ve definitely planned better than I did). You can see the results by watching my presentation:Philip Clayton is the main proponent behind Theology After Google and the broader Transforming Theology project at Claremont, which I’m tremendously excited about. Philip interviewed me following my presentation to dig deeper into the question of whether online community is “real community” and what practices we can bring to our online interaction that can lead to a better world. Here are my responses:

Highlights from Theology After Google (#tag10 on Twitter) for me include the brilliance of Callid Keefe-Perry, Monica Coleman, Dwight Friesen, Jeff Jarvis, and Barry Taylor; the fun of competitive cornhole; the rare opportunity to sit in conversation with John Cobb and Glen Stassen; and most of all the joy of new connections and friendships.

And from now on, I can say I spoke at the same conference as Jeff Jarvis. That’s a dream come true.

Bonus: Watch more presentations from Theology After Google »

Action: Leave a comment with your thoughts on “theology after Google” »

Posted on 03-14-2010

Comments

1. Rocky supinger says:

March 16th, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I enjoyed meeting you, Knightopia. Your blogging breakout helped me think through some important blogging questions and decide to give another go. You had the best presentation title of the wee, with “Just As I Am, Without One Fee.” well done

March 16th, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Thanks, Rocky! It was great to meet you too. I’m glad you got some value out of the blogging breakout. It was fun all around.

3. Jonathan Blundell says:

March 17th, 2010 at 8:15 am

Great message Steve!
    Bummer about the tech problems but a great presentation.
    Thanks for sharing it – as well as the TED video.
    Keep it up.

4. Jonathan Brink says:

March 17th, 2010 at 9:23 am

If you watch your presentation, right where you show the server farm with the FarmVille logo, a girl in the audience says, “Ooooh. I’ve always wondered what that was.”

5. The Church is as the Church does « YoRocko! says:

April 1st, 2010 at 2:37 pm

[…] of good news I have for you is not actually from me, but from “Internet Evangelist” Steve Knight: You don’t need to worry about paying for your IT tools any longer.  Churches can move […]

6. KMC says:

May 4th, 2010 at 12:01 am

For many of the visually impaired like myself, a gray typeface on a black background is illegible!

Advanced technological communication or ignorant misunderstanding??

May 4th, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Sorry, KMC. I guess the answer is “ignorant misunderstanding.” But my ignorance is over, thanks to your comment! I’ll see what I can do to tweak the text color in the comments.

May 10th, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Hey, I fixed it! The background is now white, and the text is now black/grey. Thanks for the encouragement to figure that out and get it changed, KMC!