Sudan: Where to Begin?
My wife and I saw Hotel Rwanda recently, and afterward, we both felt like we’d been punched in the gut. We began talking about the genocide going on in Sudan right now and wondering: What can be done?
Here are some things I’ve found that I want to share so that others can explore them further as well:
- Write letters â€” It seems insignificant, but this editorial by actor Don Cheadle convinced me that the U.S. government needs to “hear” from us!
- Raise awareness â€” Many of us know what’s going on in Sudan, but many do not.
- Educate yourself â€” Read the Passion of the Present blog daily. Subscribe to their RSS feed. Check out SaveDarfur.org, as well, for more info.
- Let your heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God â€” I highly recommend seeing Hotel Rwanda (as does Brian McLaren) to feel the emotional impact of the injustice that happened a decade ago. You can also listen to Paul Rusesabagina share his powerful story online! The genocide in the Darfur region of Sudan is eerily similar to what happened in Rwanda. The difference is: We can do something about Sudan!
- Pray for Africa â€” The genocide in Sudan is one thing. The AIDS pandemic across Africa is another. If we believe that prayer “works,” then we should pray.
What is God putting on your heart to do? God help us if we think “That’s too bad about that genocide” and go back to watching television and do nothing to save lives in Sudan.